November 5, 26 & December 10 - Girls Get WISE in Technology, a webmaking with HTML & CSS Workshop brought to you by WISEatlantic and Ladies Learning Code, took place at Truro, NSCC.
Nov. 18 - WISEatlantic hosted the WinSETT Centre mini-workshop on Difficult Conversations. 31 women in SETT participated.
Nov. 3 - The WISEatlantic survey team presented the data from the research study Youth Perspectives on STEM Education, Career Decisions, and Influencers.
Oct. 27 - WISEatlantic hosted a free screening of the award-winning documentary CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap
Oct. 7 - WISEatlantic partnered with Let's Talk Science to host the first ever Let's Talk Biochemistry WISEly Symposium here at the Mount. 78 students in grades 8 & 9 participated in the event.
July 18-22 - WISEatlantic hosted the 5th annual Girls Get WISE Science Camp at the Mount. 24 girls participated again this year in various hands-on activities and had the opportunity to chat with 5 female role models who work in STEM fields.
May 12 - WISEatlantic hosted a free screening of the documentary CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap as part of national Science Odyssey week.
May 3-4 - WISEatlantic attended the 2016 CCWESTT conference in Ottawa. Dr. Franz-Odendaal gave four presentations.
Apr. 29 - WISEatlantic co-sponsored the PEI Girls Get WISE Science Retreat. 60 girls were present and engaged with 20 female role models in STEM careers.
Apr. 23 - WISEatlantic hosted the 5th annual Girls Get WISE Science Retreat at the Mount. 55 girls participated and engaged with 8 role models. Activities included roller coaster design and coding with Scratch!
Apr. 1 - WISEatlantic co-sponsored and had a booth at the 6th annual CBU WISE event. Over 100 girls participated!
Mar. 3 - WISEatlantic had a booth and did a presentation on The Myths Surrounding Girls and STEM at the Mount's Girls Conference.
Mar. 1 - WISEatlantic hosted a public talk at Keshen Goodman Library about the 10 common myths girls face in STEM and how to bust them.
Feb. 24 - WISEatlantic in partnership with Imhotep and the Mount, hosted a public lecture featuring Dr. Renee Horton, Engineer for NASA. About 60 people participated.
Feb. 22 - WISEatlantic hosted a science session for a local girl guides group (Kingswood Brownies)
Feb. 19 - WISEatlantic sponsored the WinSETT Centre's 4th workshop in the Halifax Leadership Series, Navigating Politics at Work.
Feb. 10 - WISEatlantic held an information session at the Halifax Central Library for parents, teachers, and girls in grades 7-12. The session discussed the 10 common myths girls face in STEM and how to bust them.
Feb. 2 - WISEatlantic sponsored and co-organized the WinSETT Centre workshop Effective Communications, for female graduate students, staff and faculty, at Dalhousie's Agricultural Campus, Truro NS
Jan. 15 - WISEatlantic sponsored the WinSETT Centre's 3nd workshop in the Halifax Leadership Series, Negotiating for Success
Jan. 10 - WISEatlantic sponsored and had a booth at the Canadian Conference for Undergraduate Women in Physics at Dalhousie University.
Nov. 27 - WISEatlantic sponsored the WinSETT Centre's 2nd workshop in the Halifax Leadership Series, Effective Communication.
Nov. 19 - WISEatlantic hosts a Free webinar, "A Practical Guide for Parents: Guiding your daughter in subject and career decisions".
Nov. 12 - WISEatlantic hosted a Twitter Basics and Networking event at the Mount. 32 women in SETT participated.
Oct 29 - WISEatlantic had a webinar for teachers, parents, students on the 10 Myths about Girls and STEM and How to Bust Them!
Oct. 23 - WISEatlantic did a session on How to Encourage Girls in STEM and Why It's Important and had a booth at the Association of Science Teachers Conference
Oct. 23 - WISEatlantic sponsored the first workshop in the WInSETT Centre's Halifax Leadership Series, Becoming Leaders.
Oct 22 - WISEatlantic did a session on How to Encourage Girls in STEM and Why It's Important at the Mount's Guidance Counsellor's Symposium
Sept 30 - WISEatlantic had a booth at the Mount's Volunteer Fair
Aug 28 - WISEatlantic participated in the Mount's Teaching and Learning Showcase.
July 13 - Tamara had an article published in STEM Magazine.
July 6-10th WISEatlantic held the fourth annual Girls Get WISE Science Summer Camp at the Mount. 23 girls participated in raising their own zebrafish, doing engineering challenges, computer coding, and various chemistry and biology sessions. They also got the opportunity to chat with 5 role models in the STEM fields.
June 4&5 WISEatlantic hosted the first Atlantic ConnecTions Conference at Mount Allison University. This conference brought together 68 women in SETT and was open-space format. The full report from the conference can be viewed here
May 23rd - WISEatlantic had a booth at the 2nd UPEI Girls Get WISE Science Retreat. This year saw 40 girls in grades 7-9 complete three hands-on activities in chemistry, physics, and engineering design.
April 20th WISEatlantic, with the help from several Deans at Dalhousie University, hosted the WinSETT Workshop Negotiating for Success for 21 participants.
April 11th WISEatlantic hosted the 4th Annual Girls Get WISE Science Retreat. 38 girls participated in hands-on biology sessions and met 6 female role models with careers in STEM.
Mar. 28th WISEatlantic sponsored and participatied in Cape Breton University's Girls' Day.
Mar. 7th WISEatlantic had a booth at the Truro Agricultural Campus's first Girls Get WISE Science Retreat. 32 girls were present and took part in two hands-on activities.
Mar. 6th WISEatlantic presented and had our booth at the Mount's GIRLS Conference.
- Dec. 11th WISEatlantic visited a 4/5 class at Grosvener Wentworth School to help the students participate in Hour of Code. 25 student participated.
- Nov. 8th WISEatlantic, along with Girl Guides of Nova Scotia, held a Girls Get WISE Science Retreat for Pathfinders and Rangers at Cape Breton University. 33 girls participated and chatted with 6 female role models.
- Nov. 3rd WISEatlantic hosted the incoming president of Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Dr. Mario Pinto, at the Mount. A small gathering of women from other institutions in the region involved in the WISEatlantic program attended the reception.
- Oct. 24th WISEatlantic participated in the Association of Science Teachers conference held at Halifax West High School.
- Oct. 3rd WISEatlantic hosted Step-Up: A Promotion Workshop for Female Faculty in Halifax. 23 women participated along with 7 speakers.
- Sept. 10-11th Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal took part in the WISE Legacy workshop at the University of Ottawa.
- Sept. 10th Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal attends NSERC Networking Event at the University of Ottawa.
- Aug. 28th Science Culture in Canada report released. Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal was part of the expert panel.
- Jul. 7-11th WISEatlantic held their third Girls Get WISE Science Camp with 21 girls attending. Activities included an egg drop, chemistry, water for the world, data collection.
- May 22-24 WISeatlantic supports students and professionals to attend CCWESTT 2014.
- May 22-24 Dr. Franz-Odendaal attended the CCWESTT Conference in Regina and discussed the WISEatlantic program in a panel discussion on youth programs.
- May 17th WISEatlantic hosted their annual Girls Get WISE Science Retreat at the Mount. 44 girls participated in IT and Engineering sessions and met role models.
- May 15th WISEatlantic hosted their third WinSETT Workshop, Effective Communication for women in STEM careers. 22 women participated in this workshop. Thank you Digital Nova Scotia for your support.
- May 2nd WISEatlantic partnered with Engineers PEI, IslandWISE and Itap to host a Girls Get WISE Science Retreat at UPEI.
- Apr. 16th Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal presents to WISE NL.
- Apr. 12th WISEatlantic held their Girls Get WISE Science Retreat at the Mount in partnership with Girl Guides Nova Scotia.
- Mar. 20th WISEatlantic held their two year reception and celebration at the Mount.
- Mar. 15th WISEatlantic hosted Explore Science Research event at the Mount as part of Science Atlantic's Biology conference.
- Mar. 6th The Science Communication and Gender Stereotypes panel discussion was held at Saint Mary's University.
- Mar. 4th & 5th WISEatlantic participated in the Mount's 2014 GIRLS Conference.
- Mar. 4th Dr. Franz-Odendaal was interveiwed for Global News about the Science Communication and Gender Stereotypes panel discusssion.
- Mar. 1st WISEatlantic hosted a Girls Get WISE retreat in partnership with Girl Guides Nova Scotia.
- Feb. 28th Dr. Franz-Odendaal held a workshop for science students at the Mount on how to improve their CV's.
- Feb. 27th WISEatlantic held a science and math webinar with Quispamsis Middle School.
- Jan. 19th Dr. Franz-Odendaal was interveiwed by Nova Scotia Business Journal.
- Jan. 22nd Dr. Franz-Odendaal was featured in the Mount News regarding the results of the WISEatlantic career choices study.
- Jan. 23rd Dr. Franz-Odendaal was interveiwed by the Globe and Mail and the Chronicle Herald.
- Jan. 23rd & 29th (Radio) Dr. Franz-Odendaal was interveiwed by CBC Mainstream, the Rick Howe Show, Daily Commercial News, and the National about the results of our survey "Career Choices and Influencers in STEM: an analysis in the Maritime Provinces".
- Jan. 24th (Print) Dr. Franz-Odendaal's research was featured by Unews.ca, Halifax Metro, and Academica Top Ten.
- Jan. 24th WISEatlantic held its IT focused webinar.
- Jan. 23rd Dr. Franz-Odendaal, Dr. Blotnicky, Dr. French, and Phillip Joy presented the results of their study "Career Choices and Influencers in STEM: an analysis in the Maritime Provinces".
- Dec. 17th (Print) Dr. Franz-Odendaal was interveiwed by the Teacher Newsletter.
- Nov. 28th (Televison) Dr. Franz-Odendaal was interveiwed by FAX.
- Nov. 21st Dr. Franz-Odendaal was awarded a Science Champion 2013 plaque at the Discovery Centre Awards ceremony.
- Nov. 13-15th Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal gave two presentations at the 3rd North American Gender Summit in Washington, D.C. One presentation was on Early Leadership and the other one focused on the WISEatlantic program.
- Nov. 5th Dr. Franz-Odendaal was interveiwed by International Innovation Journal.
- Nov. 5th Dr Franz-Odendaal joins a discussion lead by Nancy Flam and Nan Armour to discuss Women in Technology in Nova Scotia
- Nov. 4th Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal was the guest speaker at UPEI on Nov. 4th from 2:30-3:30pm.
- Nov. 4th Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal was the guest speaker at Engineers PEI Lunch and Learn.
- Oct. 25th WISEatlantic participated in the Association of Science Teachers conference held at Halifax West High School.
- Oct 24th WISEatlantic gave a presentation and demonstrated a live webinar to10 guidance counsellors during Mount Saint Vincent University's School Counsellors Symposium.
- Oct. 20-23rd The 63rd Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference took place in Fredericton, NB. Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal gave a presentation entitlted "A Business Case for Increasing Women in STEM Profressions".
- Oct. 18th Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal participated as a role model in Techsploration's Techsplorer Alumnae Conference which took place at NSCC Waterfront Campus.
- Oct. 11th, WISEatlantic hosted the WinSETT Workshop "Negotiating for Success" for early to mid career women in SETT. 20 women partcipated in this workshop. Thank you to Digital Nova Scotia for helping making this workshop a success.
- Oct. 2nd WISE Atlantic hosted a science retreat for African NS Youth at Mount Saint Vincent University. 31 students participated in hands-on science and chatting to role models.
- Sept. 17th Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal spoke to students and faculty at Acadia University, her talk was entitled "Supporting Gender Diversity in the Workplace and Classroom".
- Aug. 12th-16th the Girls Get WISE Science Camp took place at Mount Saint Vincent University. 21 girls participated in this fun-filled week of hands-on science activities which included DNA Extraction, Bridge challenge, forensic science and more!
- June 1st Girls Get WISE Science Retreat took place at Mount St. Vincent University. Over 40 girls explored careers in STEM. Visit our facebook page for images.
- April 22 Dr Franz-Odendaal presented a poster at the American Association of Anatomists Annual Meeting on “Introducing Anatomical concepts to Junior high school students: early engagement”.
- April 21 Dr Franz-Odendaal received the American Association of Anatomists Young Investigator’s Morphological Sciences Award for her research on craniofacial development, in Boston.
- April 9th The Girls Tech League held its programming competition at MSVU. The winners for this year were the Fairview Jr. High Appstronauts. Girls Tech League promotes technology to junior high girls and is supported by Comp Camp, WISEatlantic and Students in Business.
- Mar. 27th, Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal is profiled on Mount Saint Vincent Universities news page in an article called "Mount Prof paving way for more women in sciences".
- Apr. 6th, CBU Women in Science Event held annually at the University of Cape Breton.
- April 2nd, WISEatlantic participates in panel session Girls' Talk Tech hosted by the Women in Technology Society, Dalhousie University.
- Mar. 21st, A networking and discussion event for female engineers took place in Halifax. Sarah Devereaux, P.Eng (Engineers Nova Scotia President) spoke on “Encouraging Women to Enter the Field of Engineering”.
- Mar. 8th, Explore the Mount – the Mount’s winter open campus day saw many prospective students and parents come to campus, and learn more about future studies. WISEatlantic's booth provided general information about STEM careers.
- Mar. 7th, Dr Franz-Odendaal gave a presentation to 50 women in Science and Engineering in South Africa.
- Mar. 6th, Girls 2013: An Equal Voice in Leadership conference was held at the Mount for high school girls, university and college women, during International Women’s Week. WISEatlantic's booth provided general information about STEM careers.
- Congratulations to Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal, who will receive the American Anatomy Association’s Morphological Sciences Award and present an award lecture on “Unraveling the Complexity of the Skull: an Evo-Devo Approach” at the AAA Annual Meeting during April 2013.
- Feb. Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal appointed as a member of the Council of Canadian Academies Expert Panel on “The State of Canada’s Science Culture." Report will be public in Winter 2014.
Show More News
- Dec. 2nd, Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal's artlice, Leading the next generation of female scientists, published in the Herald Magazine.
- Nov. 29th, WISEatlantic volunteer role models presented their STEM careers at a Library Session at Woodlawn Public Library.
- Nov. 26th, The Honourable Marilyn More, Minister of Labour and Advanced Education, announced that the Provincial Government would be providing $250,000 in funding to expand the Robot Programming Competitions in Nova Scotia.
- Nov. 17th, Pathfinders and their Guiding Leaders from across Nova Scoita attended a Science Retreat at MSVU to show how a basis in science opens a variety of careers.
- Nov. 1st, Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal gave biology demonstrations to junior high students at Highland Park Junior High.
- Oct. 26th Association of Science Teachers (N.S.) Annual Conference with 700-900 science teachers (from all grade levels) in attendance. WISE presented STEM outreach workshop “Promoting Hands-on Science Engagement in Atlantic Canada."
- Oct. 25th School Counsellor Symposium, hosted by MSVU recruitment, invited school counsellors to learn more about MSVU programs and WISEatlantic STEM outreach.
- Oct. 19th, WISEatlantic at Open Campus Event held at MSVU. This event attracted 160 students and their parents from across the province to tour the university and meet with faculty.
- Oct.18th WISEatlantic co-sponsored Dr. Evelyn Fox Keller to visit MSVU for a discussion on gender and science to staff and community.
- Oct. 16th, Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal gave biology demonstrations to junior high students at Herring Cove Junior High.
- Oct. 13-14th, Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal presented on WISE outreach activities, with a particular emphasis on Computer Science, at the first Atlantic Canadian Celebration of Women in Computing (ACCWIC 2012)
- Oct. 12-21st, National Science and Technology Week (NSTW)
- Oct. 12th, Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal gave biology demonstrations to junior high students at Highland Park Junior High.
- Oct. 12th, Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal gave science demonstrations at MSVU to approximately 100 students, representing 12 schools, in an Aboriginal Youth Academic Expo conference on post-secondary education.
- Oct. 4th, WISEatlantic presented at Research Remixed – a showcase that highlights unique and varied research methods.
- Oct. 1st, Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal was interviewed on CBC Mainstreet about being a woman in science, and how to encourage women and girls to take the plunge.
- Oct. 1st, Dr. Franz-Odendaal presented "GIRLS and Science: why it's important and how you can support them" at the Museum of Natural History, Halifax, as part of the Nova Scotia Institute of Science Lecture Series.
- Aug. 13-17th Girls Summer Science Retreat for junior high girls at MSVU.
- Jun 11th Webinar 20 Careers in 60 Minutes with classes logging in from Prince Andrew High School and Sydney Academy.
- May 30th Beoming Leaders Workshop, Mount Saint Vincent Univeristy. WISEatlantic hosted a WinSETT professional development leadership workshop on May 30th for 14 femaile engineers, scientists and technologists.
- May 26th Girls Get Wise Science Retreat at MSVU attracted over 45 girls from Gr 7-12.
- May 25th CBC Mainstreet audio clip with Lindy Quann from Pictou Academy
- May 23th Teen Session at Woodlawn Public Library with role models in Marine Biology, IT and Engineering
- May 17th WISE Atlantic at Techsploration Conference in Truro
- May 15th Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal judges at the National Science Fair in PEI
- May 3-5th We had a full house at our session at the CCWESTT conference.
- Mar. 31th WISE Atlantic sponsored a one-day Women in Science Retreat at Cape Breton University. 150 Girls attended!
- Mar. 30th WISE Atlantic at Ecole Beau-Port Science Fair. GIRLS Science Fair Project Prize awarded
- Mar. 29th Teen Session at Spring Garden Road Public Library
- Mar. 28th Citadal High School Luncheon Presentation
- Mar. 27th Sacred Heart School of Halifax Luncheon Presentation
- Mar. 23rd WISE Atlantic Information session at Pictou Academy Techsploration Goes to School
- Mar. 23rd Presentation at West Pictou Consolidated School
- Mar. 9th Techsploration goes to work. Six grade 9 students and their teacher, from Pictou Academy, visit Dr Franz-Odendaal’s research lab for the day.
- Mar. 9th The WISE Atlantic workshop at Girls 2012 conference was a hit!
- Mar. 1st WISE welcomed 12 girl guides and their leaders to participate in a Mobile Guiding science lab at the Mount.
- Feb. 16-20th Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal attends the American Association of Advancement of Science Annual Meeting in Vancouver.
- Feb. 4th, WISE Atlantic sponsor teachers to attend the FIRST LEGO league regional competition at Acadia University.
- Feb. 3rd, WISE Atlantic sponsor a Women in Engineering Workshop for attendees to the Atlantic Engineering Competition, Dalhousie University.
- Feb. 3rd and 10th, Junior and Senior High students from Diverse Backgrounds visit MSVU. Tamara Franz-Odendaal chatted to the group about career options in science and engineering. Tours of the Science labs were also conducted.
- Feb. 2nd, Teen Career Session at Keshen Library. Students met and chatted with an engineer, an X-ray technologist and a biologist.
- Jan. 31st, 2012 WISE Atlantic at Park West School to talk to the Gr. 7-9 girls about exploring and finding out about STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) by taking math/science subjects, and meeting role models in these fields.
- Jan. 19, 2012 WISE Atlantic delivered a Mobile Science Workshop – Grosvenor-Wentworth School.
- Jan. 9, 2012 Webinar on Career Decision Making If you missed this webinar, be sure to attend the next one on April 16, 2012
- Dec. 2011 American Association of AnatomistsAAA ’s newsletter (Anatomists News pg 12) recognizes Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal in her new role to spur women in science & engineering
- Dec. 5, 2011 Webinar on Career Decision Making If you missed this webinar, be sure to attend the next one on January 9, 2012
- Nov. 2011 Folia Montana MSVUís newsletter (Folia Montana pg3.) recognizes Professor named Atlantic Chair for Women in Science and Engineering
- Nov. 18, 2011 WISE Atlantic at Open Campus Event held at MSVU This event attracted students and parents from across the province to tour the university and meet with faculty followed by a luncheon.
- Nov. 7, 2011 Webinar on Career Decision Making If you missed the first webinar, be sure to attend the next one on December 5, 2011
- Oct. 28, 2011 Math Teachers Professional Development Day WISE display at Professional Development day for math teachers held at Cole Harbour High School. This event attracted Mathematics teachers from across the province.
- Oct. 26, 2011 Professional Development Luncheon Chair for Women in Science and Engineering attended Professional Development lunch for School Counsellors (MSVU)
- Oct. 19, 2011 Alumnus Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal has become a shining example for young women in Canada University of Cape Town Alumni news item alumnus Dr Tamara Franz-Odendaal has become a shining example for young women in Canada. Read full article
- Oct. 14, 2011 Appointment of NSERC Chair Chronicle Herald news article on appointment of NSERC Chair, Women in Science and Engineering.
- Oct. 13, 2011 MSVU Celebrates Appointment of Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal Mount Saint Vincent University celebrated the appointment of biology professor Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal as the only Atlantic Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Chair for Women in Science and Engineering (WISE). Read full article
- Sept. 10, 2011 CTV interview with Dr. Tamara Franz-Odendaal, NSERC Chair, Women in Science and Engineering, Atlantic Region.
Hide Older News